The Urban League of Hampton Roads
The mission of the Urban League of Hampton Roads, Inc. (ULHR) is to enable African Americans and others to secure economic self-reliance, parity and power and civil rights. The ULHR implements its mission by providing services and programs in education, employment, health, and housing to Hampton Roads communities through direct services, advocacy, research, policy analysis, community mobilization, and collaboration throughout communities.
The National Urban League is the nation’s oldest and largest community-based movement empowering African Americans and others to enter the economic and social mainstream. It celebrated 100 years in 2010. Headquartered in New York City, NUL spearheads the nonprofit, nonpartisan movement, while Urban League affiliates operate in more than 100 cities in 34 states and the District of Columbia. The Urban League of Hampton Roads Inc. affiliate, founded in 1978, implements its mission by providing services and programs in education, employment, health, and housing to Hampton Roads communities through direct services, advocacy, research, policy analysis, community mobilization, and collaboration throughout communities.
The Urban League employs a five point strategy, tailored to local needs, in order to implement the mission of our movement.
- Education and Youth Empowerment.
- Economic Empowerment.
- Health and Quality of Life Empowerment.
- Civic Engagement and Leadership Empowerment.
- Civil Rights and Racial Justice Empowerment.
Board of Directors
Urban League of Hampton Roads’ Board of Directors and Staff are integral to helping drive our mission forward for assisting African-Americans and other minority groups in the achievement of social and economic equality.
- President & CEO-Gilbert Bland
- Management / Operations Consultant-Mary Bibbs
- Medical Case Manager-Stephen Williams
- Medical Case Coordinator-Charles Winslow
- Medical Case Coordinator-Felicia Campbell
- Medical Case Coordinator-Kendra Habersham
- Early Intervention Specialist-Sylvester Askins
- Non-Medical Case Coordinator-Priscilla Smith
- Housing Counselor Coordinator-Oneida Jefferies Cary
- Housing Counselor Coordinator-Ernest Rolland
- Housing Intake Specialist-Anita Elmore
Employment & Education
- Workforce and Apprenticeship Coordinator-Nicole Rountree
Urban League of Hampton Roads, Inc. can only do what it does with the support of the list of partners shown below.View More